"The Most Powerful Weapon
in Defense of Your Transformer"
It’s pretty simple; the implications of not removing the water
from the heart of your system – Sudden failure –
there is a solution... DryMax.
Transformer insulation systems and their oils must be dry and require initial processing to meet high voltage demands and the rigorous testing standards of our industry. SD Myers, Inc. (SDMI) provides equipment specially designed to meet those standards.
Until recently, wet insulation required costly, extensive dry-out procedures that interfered with daily production. Here’s good news! The days of trailer-mounted vacuum oil process equipment requiring substation engineers and huge block of downtime to perform the service are over! SDMI now offers an on-line solution to dry your transformer in a passive, safe and effective method.
Wet transformers, with up to 5 percent (or even more in some cases) Moisture by Dry Weight, can be dried to acceptable levels with the “online” installation of SDMI’s DryMax Dehydration Unit. With DryMax, there is no need to take your transformer out of service! We’ve eliminated the down time required by traditional dry-out techniques. DryMax is free-standing, stainless steel substation-grade oil processing equipment that will continuously remove moisture from the oil. The moisture migrates from the core’s insulation – to the oil – and then to the DryMax through our proprietary proven process.
DryMax uses a special pump and drying media columns that are mounted inside a stainless steel cabinet. Once the media grabs the moisture, it cannot be released.
- Oil is drawn from the transformer into the DryMax
- Pump pushes oil through the water removal system
- Oil is filtered in final filter
- Oil is returned to top of transformer
Just about anyone who has a water problem in their transformer and cannot afford a production shutdown. The DryMax is ideal for utilities, co-ops, municipalities, industrial companies, government installations, bulk oil facilities, repair and remanufacturing facilities, transformer manufacturers, and service shops.
- Drying wet insulation (with criteria meeting the DryMax standards based upon test results). New transformer installations, oil storage tanks, and other applications where oil must stay dry to under 10 ppm.
- The DryMax can replace field dry-outs, cold traps and prevent costly downtime and it can be used in conjunction with online monitoring apparatus and instrumentation.
Monitoring – Once the DryMax is connected to your transformer; it can be monitored in one of three ways:
- Drawing an oil sample – normal moisture sampling and testing samples are drawn every three (3) months and perhaps more often
- SDMI will monitor and make recommendations
- SDMI Transformer Dashboard will capture data and report via the internet
- Site viewed instrumentation
- Moisture Monitor can be used to read the ppm and temperature of the oil
- Must be read on site with the instruments
- Instrument options are available in an inlet and outlet
- Remote monitoring instrumentation
- Moisture Monitor and a custom touch screen monitor sends the information to the user and SDMI
- Cellular or internet communication
- Multiple readings per day
- Customized alarm setting
- Remote DryMax real-time monitoring internet connection
- Desk top data management
- Alarms and monitoring
The DryMax mounts directly on the concrete pad next to the transformer. No special frames or mounts to the transformer are necessary. It is a passive dryer that will not shock the transformer insulation equilibrium. Predictions for dry-out are based on several factors including the following:
- Initial percent moisture-by-dry-weight of the transformer
- Size, oil capacity and loading of the transformer
- Seasonal operating temperatures of the transformer. (The warmer the oil, the more water removal is possible).
- Age and original design of the transformer
Under normal operation, oil leaving the DryMax is less than 10 parts per million (ppm) and as low as 3 ppm! This can extend the life of your transformer by years!
The DryMax Dehydration Unit is portable, easy to install and maintain and energized. Best of all is that it keeps you running!
Each DryMax Unit is delivered with a 25-ft power cable.